Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Blogtember: Day 1

Day 1: Tuesday, Sept. 3: Describe where or what you come from. The people, the places, and/or the factors that make up who you are.

I grew up in Yorktown, Virginia in the heart of the Historic Triangle. For 20 years, I've told people who have asked that I am from Yorktown. They actually ask me if I mean Pennsylvania. I have to fight the urge to say "Did you FAIL US history?" When I was 8, my mom got married and we moved to Alexandria, Virginia just outside of DC. After two years there, we moved to Williamsburg, Virginia which is the other leg of the Historic Triangle. I went to High School in Yorktown though because my family wasn't excited about Williamsburg Public Schools. 
I didn't go beyond Newport News (30min away from my Williamsburg home) for college because not only was I blessed with a very good local school, but my very small and very close family was hard to leave.
My heart is in our summer house though in Anna Maria, Florida. We spend holidays there because it was my grandfather's favorite place too. When people ask, I always tell them I'm a Florida girl because that island made the greatest impact on my life. 
I have lived all over the socio-economic spectrum. My mom has never wanted me to be sheltered or intolerant of others. 
Now I'm itching to start the next chapter in my life away from Historic Virginia and move on to bigger and brighter things such as Nashville (Vanderbilt) or Maryland (College Park.)

No comments:

Post a Comment