Thursday, August 1, 2013

USG Book Club

What do the most well-known blogs all have in common? A Bowl Full of Lemons, The College Prepster, Sticky Note Addict....just to name my favorites. BOOK CLUBS! So here is the Unconventional Sorority Girl's FIRST book recommendation. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll want to cook. Then you'll call me if you can't cook....
A good friend of mine lent me this book a few weeks ago and it sat on my night stand for a while. One sleepless night, I decided to pick it up. She said that she thought I would like it, and that there was a recipe for Pomegranate Baklava that I would just be dying to try.
She was right. At first, I though "Oh, god. Not another romance novel." Then I dug deeper. The protagonist, Elena Alvarez, suffered a massive car accident which left her body mangled. She is followed by the ghosts of her sister and boyfriend who died in the crash and finds solace only in cooking. She ends a tryst with an angry Russian chef and moves to Aspen to re-open a restaurant with a famous and rich horror movie director/writer turned restaurateur.
Then I realized why she recommended it: I have always wanted to be a chef, and the handsome restaurateur is named Julian...same name as my boyfriend. So, I gave in and decided to read it.
Little did I know...I'd be sucked in to a vortex of an amazing story. After bawling my eyes out, I called Kathryn and thanked her for recommending the book and she said: "I knew you'd like it. She reminded me of you." I said: "Well, a chef who speaks Spanish that ends up with a guy named Julian sounds pretty familiar." She said: "No, it's because you are like her; one of the strongest people I know." And then I cried again.
It is a truly moving story. This woman lost everything that she held dear to her and had to make her own life; very different from the one she had imagined before her accident. She broke her back in 4 places, shattered her hip, lost the love of her life, and her sister all at once. She was the sole survivor of the crash.
Her ghosts keep her from finding happiness until she meets Julian. Things don't just change in books and movies when you meet your soul mate, they change in real life as well.

Can't wait to see what my little thinks of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment